19.9 C
Harare
Friday, February 20, 2026
HomeNewsWorldTrump Claims Maduro Captured as US Strikes Rock Caracas, Venezuela Accuses Washington...

Trump Claims Maduro Captured as US Strikes Rock Caracas, Venezuela Accuses Washington of Military Aggression

Date:

Related stories

Govt says Constitution Amendment targets governance bottlenecks

HARARE – The Government has gazetted the Constitution of Zimbabwe...

Between Principle and Pragmatism: The Moral Fault Lines in Zimbabwe’s Constitutional Debate

Strip away the procedural arguments, the partisan loyalties, and...

UK blocking U.S. from using RAF bases for strikes on Iran

The United Kingdom is unlikely to grant permission for...

Jay-Z Sparks Album Speculation Following Subtle Name Change

Jay-Z has ignited fresh speculation across the Hip-Hop community...

Chamisa wants elections with Mnangagwa

Opposition leader Nelson Chamisa has challenged President Emmerson Mnangagwa...

Zanu-PF expects Constitutional Amendment Bill to pass

Zanu-PF has expressed confidence that its Resolution Number One,...

NEW YORK –US President Donald Trump has claimed that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has been captured by United States forces and removed from the country, following what Venezuelan authorities describe as a large-scale military assault on Caracas and other strategic locations.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump alleged that Maduro and his wife had been “captured and flown out of the country” during a US operation whose full scope remains unclear. Washington has yet to issue a detailed official statement confirming the claim.

Venezuela’s Foreign Minister, Yván Gil Pinto, condemned the operation as “blatant military aggression”, accusing the United States of striking both civilian and military infrastructure in the capital.

The Zimbabwe Mail has compiled key developments as conflicting reports continue to emerge from Caracas and Washington.
Explosions and gunfire rock Caracas

Multiple explosions were reported across Caracas late into the night, with residents describing widespread gunfire and power outages near major military installations.

According to international wire agencies, at least seven explosions were heard in the capital, while Colombian President Gustavo Petro said the United States struck no fewer than nine sites nationwide. These reportedly included military barracks in Catia-La Mar, an F-16 fighter base in Barquisimeto, the Higuerote helicopter base, an airport in El Hatillo, and the National Assembly building.

Witnesses cited by US media said smoke was seen rising from the La Carlota air base and the Fuerte Tiuna military complex, two of Venezuela’s most strategic installations. Reuters reported that the blasts knocked out electricity in parts of southern Caracas near a major military base.

Opposition-linked sources told CBS News that US forces also targeted a communications centre and the Caribbean port of La Guaira during what was described as a night-time operation.

While Trump asserted that Maduro had been captured, Venezuelan authorities have not confirmed the claim. The Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, reported that Vice President Delcy Rodríguez was safe following the attack.

Foreign Minister Gil Pinto said President Maduro had signed a decree imposing a nationwide state of emergency and ordered the armed forces to defend Venezuela’s sovereignty.

“Venezuela reserves the right to lawful self-defence to protect its people and its independence,” the foreign ministry said in a statement, adding that missiles were fired near residential areas and that casualty figures were still being assessed.

Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino López accused US helicopters of launching strikes dangerously close to civilian neighbourhoods.
US reaction: confirmation without details

Trump told The New York Times that the operation had been “planned well in advance” and “went brilliantly,” but declined to provide further details, saying he would address the matter at a press conference later today.

The US Embassy has advised American citizens against travelling to Venezuela, while a US military spokesperson confirmed explosions in Caracas but declined to comment on US involvement. The White House and US Southern Command have also refused to comment.

Speaking from New York, The Zimbabwe Mail’s US correspondent said the silence from Washington was fuelling global uncertainty.

“What is striking here is the gap between President Trump’s claims and the lack of institutional confirmation from the Pentagon or the White House,” the correspondent said. “Diplomats in New York are extremely cautious, and there is growing concern at the UN about escalation and the precedent this sets for international law.”

Russia reacted sharply, with its embassy in Caracas confirming that staff remained at their posts. Moscow described the US operation as a “gross violation of the UN Charter” and a threat to international peace and stability, particularly in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Venezuelan Embassy in Moscow warned that the attacks placed “the lives of millions of people at serious risk.”

Russian tourism and aviation officials said there were no organised groups of Russian tourists in Caracas and no scheduled passenger flights to Venezuela in the coming days.

As of publication, independent verification of President Maduro’s alleged capture remains unavailable. International observers warn that the situation could rapidly escalate, with far-reaching consequences for regional stability, energy markets and global diplomacy.

The United Nations Security Council is expected to convene an emergency session as pressure mounts on Washington to clarify its actions and on Caracas to provide verifiable information on the status of its leadership.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

spot_img