23.2 C
Harare
Saturday, February 21, 2026
HomeNewsZimbabweSearch continues for two missing in Zambezi River after suspected baptism incident

Search continues for two missing in Zambezi River after suspected baptism incident

Date:

Related stories

Zimbabwean man issued with Criminal Behaviour Order for persistent begging in UK

LONDON – A Zimbabwean-born resident of Amesbury has been...

Trumps says is considering limited military strike on Iran

WASHINGTON,-The United States is considering a potential limited strike...

Zimbabwe’s Constitutional Debate Reflects Global Reassessment of Executive Tenure

HARARE – Zimbabwe’s move to amend sections of its Constitution...

World shares, US futures advance after AI fears drag Wall Street lower

BANGKOK — European shares were higher Friday after a...

Govt says Constitution Amendment targets governance bottlenecks

HARARE – The Government has gazetted the Constitution of Zimbabwe...

Between Principle and Pragmatism: The Moral Fault Lines in Zimbabwe’s Constitutional Debate

Strip away the procedural arguments, the partisan loyalties, and...

UK blocking U.S. from using RAF bases for strikes on Iran

The United Kingdom is unlikely to grant permission for...

A search and rescue operation is underway on the Zambezi River following reports that two people were swept away by strong currents during what is believed to have been a baptism ceremony on Saturday.

Preliminary information suggests the individuals may have been conducting a religious ritual when they were overwhelmed by the fast-flowing waters. However, the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has not yet formally confirmed the incident as investigations are ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the reported disappearance.

Search teams remain on the ground as authorities work to verify the details and determine the exact sequence of events.

The incident comes amid heightened concern over safety in and around the Zambezi River, following a separate tragedy earlier this week. On Wednesday, the body of a 49-year-old American tourist was recovered after he reportedly fell from the Zambian side of the Victoria Falls gorge.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

spot_img