26.7 C
Harare
Saturday, November 29, 2025
HomeBusinessFall-guy: Zesa boss suspended over Sona power outage

Fall-guy: Zesa boss suspended over Sona power outage

Date:

Related stories

CAPS United Appoints a Violent Thug as Coach

INCOMING CAPS United coach Takesure Chiragwi is set to...

Tagwirei Accused of Fueling Cement Industry Collapse Through Murky Acquisitions and Market Control

HARARE – New allegations have emerged accusing businessman Kudakwashe...

Military appointments a strategic power play

THE retirement of Zimbabwe Defence Forces (ZDF) Commander General...

Zimplow bullish about last quarter prospects

Zimplow Holdings expects a solid performance in the final...

Ministry eyes 18m fruit trees under Rural Development 8.0

THE Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Water, Fisheries and Rural...

Power utility Zesa Holdings acting managing director Abel Gurupira has been suspended following a power cut incident while President Emmerson Mnangagwa was delivering the State of the Nation Address (Sona) at the New Parliament Building in Mt Hampden, Harare, on Tuesday.

Mnangagwa was forced to complete the Sona, during the official opening of the third session of the 10th Parliament of Zimbabwe, using a torch provided by one of his aides.

In an internal circular doing the rounds on social media, Zesa acting chief executive officer Cletus Nyachowe said Gurupira had been suspended from his duties at the Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) unit pending the outcome of investigations into outages “during and preceding state occasions”.

“I am hereby suspending you from duty pending investigations, following a spate of power outages prior to commencement of the Zanu PF conference in Mutare, and during the State of the Nation Address in Parliament on the 28th of October 2025,” read the statement.

“During the period of suspension, you are not to communicate with Zesa Holdings Group of staff.”

Gurupira’s suspension came after the speaker of the National Assembly, Jacob Mudenda had promised that there would be efforts to find and punish the “culprits” behind the incident.

“We shall go beyond what happened and trace the culprits and deal with them accordingly.

“And those that will be found wanting will regret the day of their existence,” Mudenda told Parliament after the address.

Last year, lights went off during the national budget presentation, leaving government officials including Mnangagwa sitting in darkness.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

spot_img