Boko Haram video claims to show missing Nigerian school girls

A still image from a video posted by Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram on social media, seen by Reuters on August 14, 2016, shows a masked man talking to dozens of girls the group said are school girls kidnapped in the town of Chibok in 2014. Social Media

BAUCHI, NIGERIA – Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has published a video apparently showing recent footage of dozens of school girls kidnapped two years ago, and saying some of them have been killed in air strikes.

 

Boko Haram seized more than 270 girls from their school in Chibok, northeast Nigeria, in April 2014, part of a seven-year-old insurgency to set up an Islamic state in the north that has killed some 15,000 people and displaced more than two million.

Dozens of the girls managed to flee to safety in the initial melee, but more than 200 are still missing.

In the video published on social media, which was seen by Reuters on Sunday, a masked man stands behind dozens of girls.




“We want to send this message first to the parents of these girls for them to know that these girls are still with us, some of them, and secondly they should tell the Federal Government of Nigeria, to with immediate effect, release our imprisoned brothers,” the man said.

“Some of the girls, about forty of them with God’s permission have been married, some of them have died as a result of bombing by the infidels,” he said.

One veiled girl could be seen holding a baby. Parents have accused Boko Haram of having married off some of the girls against their will.

At the end of the video unidentified bodies could be seen on the ground.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed said in a statement the government “was on top of the situation” to free the girls.

“Since this is not the first time we have been contacted over the issue, we want to be doubly sure that those we are in touch with are who they claim to be,” he said.

Army spokesman Rabe Abubakar was quoted as saying by PR Nigeria, an official government agency, that the military disputed the claims that the air force had hit the girls.

“We are nevertheless studying the video clips to examine if the victims died from other causes rather (than) from the allegation of airstrike,” he said.

Authorities said in May that one of the missing girls had been found and President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to rescue the others.

Boko Haram, which last year pledged loyalty to the militant group Islamic State, has kidnapped hundreds of men, women and children.

Under Buhari’s command and aided by Nigeria’s neighbors, the army has recaptured most territory once lost to Boko Haram, but the group still regularly stages suicide bombings.

Boko Haram has apparently split with Islamic State naming Abu Musab al-Barnawi two weeks ago as the group’s leader for West Africa in a two-page interview in its weekly magazine.

But the previous figurehead Abubakar Shekau appears to have rejected the new role in another video published after Barnawi’s appointment.

Related Posts
Nigeria’s President Buhari extends medical leave in UK amid ill health rumours
Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has extended his leave in Britain to complete medical tests recommended by doctors. The 74-year-old leader, who was expected to return to Nigeria today (6 February), ...
READ MORE
SA’s Ramaphosa to visit Iran over planned refinery
Johannesburg, South Africa – South Africa's deputy president will visit Iran to explore opportunities for co-operation in the energy sector with a view to attracting investment into a refinery Pretoria ...
READ MORE
IMF sees sub-Saharan Africa growth near two-decade low in 2016
ECONOMIC growth in sub-Saharan Africa will likely slow this year to its weakest in nearly two decades, hurt by a slump in commodity prices, the Ebola virus outbreak and drought, ...
READ MORE
Police work at the site of an accident at a Christmas market on Breitscheidplatz square near the fashionable Kurfuerstendamm avenue in the west of Berlin, Germany, December 19, 2016.   REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch
BERLIN - A truck plowed into a crowded Christmas market in central Berlin on Monday evening, killing nine people and injuring up to 50 others, police said, in what appeared to ...
READ MORE
Teary David Cameron steps down after Brexit vote
LONDON - Prime Minister David Cameron said he would resign as prime minister by October after Britons voted in a referendum to leave the European Union. "I do not think it ...
READ MORE
President of South Africa Jacob Zuma gestures during a news briefing with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte (not pictured) at the Union Buildings in Pretoria, November 17, 2015.   REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko
Cape Town - A crestfallen President Jacob Zuma has bemoaned unfair criticism directed at him for being uneducated, but not all the criticism levelled against him can be regarded as ...
READ MORE
President Barack Obama, with China's President Xi Jinping, delivers remarks prior to participating in their bilateral meeting at the G20 Summit, Sept. 6, 2013 in St. Petersburg, Russia. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)
A seasoned diplomat and the cabinet minister of Zimbabwe said Africa could benefit from closer China-US cooperation as the heads of the world's two powerful nations met. Asked to comment on ...
READ MORE
Zuma condemns violence against foreigners
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa's President Jacob Zuma has condemned acts of violence between citizens and non-nationals, his office said on Friday. Anti-immigrant violence has flared sporadically in South Africa against ...
READ MORE
An African migrant stands on top of a border fence as Spanish police stand guard below during a failed attempt to cross into Spanish territories, between Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Ceuta, January 1, 2017. REUTERS/Jose Antonio Sempere
MADRID (Reuters) - Around 1,100 sub-Saharan African migrants tried to cross into Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta from Morocco on Sunday by storming a border fence, though most were ...
READ MORE
Maite Nkoana-Mashabane
Johannesburg - South African International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane will meet ambassadors and diplomats from other African countries on Friday to discuss the latest wave of xenophobic attacks in the country. Five ...
READ MORE
Nigeria’s President Buhari extends medical leave in UK
SA’s Ramaphosa to visit Iran over planned refinery
IMF sees sub-Saharan Africa growth near two-decade low
Truck plows into crowd at Berlin Christmas market,
Teary David Cameron steps down after Brexit vote
Zuma threatens to spill the beans
‘Stronger China-US ties can benefit Africa’ – Mutsvangwa
Zuma condemns violence against foreigners
Hundreds of African migrants try to storm border
African diplomats demands meeting with SA government over

Arts & Entertainment