Prof. Moyo fraud case in Kenya opens

MINISTER of State for Information and Publicity Jonathan Moyo’s fraud case in Kenya, where he stands accused of siphoning US$108 000 from his former employer, the Ford Foundation, has finally got under way.

By Dumisani Muleya

moyo

The hearing into the case began on Tuesday before the Kenyan High Court but Justice Onesmus Mutungi postponed the matter to allow parties involved to prepare for four consecutive days of trial, reports from Nairobi say.

Four witnesses are expected from the United States, where the Ford Foundation is based, to testify in a civil action filed on January 22, 2001.

The Ford Foundation has been suing Moyo and five others for allegedly misusing US$414 000 advanced to the Series on Alternative Research in East Africa Trust (Sareat) for studies on policy issues.

Others sued in the case include Sareat director Mutahi Ngunyi, Joshua Nyunya, Milka Wanjiru Njuguna-Okidi, Monicah Wanjiru and Talunoza Trust.




Talunoza, an organisation named after Moyo’s children, was allegedly used as a conduit to transfer funds that the minister later used to buy a house in South Africa. Moyo has strongly denied the allegations.

Moyo was a programme officerat the Ford Foundation in Nairobifrom September 15 1993 to Dece-mber 31 1997 before he moved toSouth Africa’s Witwatersrand University in 1998.

Ford Foundation alleged Moyo, in collusion with Sareat trustees and an accountant at the donor agency’s Kenyan office, received US$108 000 either in person or through his nominee.

Moyo was said to have later set up Talunoza Trust to siphon funds from Sareat for his personal use.

Ford has alleged Moyo received US$10 000 from Sareat directly into his personal bank account through a bank telegraphic transfer dated January 23, 1998. On February 4, 1998 he is said to have obtained US$58 000 through a “nominated account” in South Africa. On the same date, Moyo also received US$40 000 by bank telegraphic transfer, it was claimed.

Ford alleged that Moyo “unlawfully” received in total US$108 000either by himself or through his nominee. It also claimed Moyo, either in collusion or partnership with Sareat and Ngunyi, directed US$98 000 to be paid to his nominated account in South Africa.

Moyo in 2001 failed in a court bid to prevent the Zimbabwe Independent reporting on his case in Kenya.

Justice Chinhengo ruled that whatever the merits of the case, the Kenya summons clearly alleged fraud and misappropriation. – The Zimbabwe Independent 

Related Posts
Management & Editorial team
Welcome to The Zimbabwe Mail, We are currently re-designing this website, please bear with us.
READ MORE
Bills that united, divided legislators in the House
A 56-year-old Zimbabwe National Army officer, who allegedly raped his 11-year-old stepdaughter twice last year, was on Friday denied bail. The man appeared before Harare magistrate Mrs Vongai Muchuchuti-Guwuriro facing two ...
READ MORE
Prosecute Mutambara, ConCourt rules
Former Deputy Prime Minister Arthur Mutambara is set to be prosecuted on contempt of court charges after the Constitutional Court (ConCourt) yesterday dismissed his application seeking a stay of prosecution. BY ...
READ MORE
“I was in Insiza when my nephew called me. He told me that he had killed them because they were involved with many men. He said he had asked them ...
READ MORE
PROSPECTS of a government led by current Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa are looking brighter now than ever before and Zimbabweans must brace themselves for his rule, analysts have said. Richard Chidza But Ngwena ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe: Behold a recalcitrant reality!
As I write this piece, I am looking at a piece in the New York Times done by one Alexander Noyes. It is on Zimbabwean politics. The writer introduces himself ...
READ MORE
Modelling ‘queen’ Kiki Divaris dies aged 90
MODELLING guru Kiki Divaris, 90, has died. She passed Saturday morning at private hospital Borrowdale Clinic Trauma Centre where she was admitted few days ago for pneumonia. Her son Dimitris confirmed her ...
READ MORE
Mnangagwa lays claim to the throne, says Mphoko is junior
HARARE - Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa yesterday clarified the position of the Constitution on what happens should an incumbent President be incapacitated to exercise his or her functions, saying the ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugambe has banned CORD’s Leader Raila Odinga from visiting Zimbabwe. He has ordered the much feared Anti-Terror Police to keep a keen eye to ensure the CORD ...
READ MORE
NAIROBI, Kenya - Troubled Zimbabwean ageing strongman President Mugabe went into deep sleep on Saturday during the ongoing African Heads of State and Government attending the Sixth Tokyo International Conference ...
READ MORE
Management & Editorial team
Bills that united, divided legislators in the House
Prosecute Mutambara, ConCourt rules
Killer pastor hacks family . . . Suicide
‘Mnangagwa to become president’
Zimbabwe: Behold a recalcitrant reality!
Modelling ‘queen’ Kiki Divaris dies aged 90
Mnangagwa lays claim to the throne, says Mphoko
Mugabe threatens to kills Kenyan opposition leader Odinga

Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment

Drake ends Sheeran’s Billboard 200 reign, smashes streaming record

27th March 2017 Staff Reporter 0

Drake ended Ed Sheeran’s two week reign atop the Billboard 200 album chart on Monday, selling a monster 505,000 copies of his new album “More Life,” according to figures from Nielsen SoundScan. The Canadian rapper, […]

Arts & Entertainment

Ex-Utakataka bassists to launch album in Mzansi

25th March 2017 Staff Reporter 0

RONNIE Mudhindo’s musical journey is not complete without the mentioning of his early days with the late Tongai “Dhewa” Moyo and Utakataka Express band. The reference involves both sweetness and sourness. Utakataka fans may remember […]