Platini allowed to address UEFA Congress as ‘gesture of humanity’

Former UEFA President Michel Platini leaves the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after being heard in the arbitration procedure involving him and the FIFA in Lausanne, Switzerland, August 25, 2016. REUTERS/Pierre Albouy

ATHENS – UEFA’s disgraced former president Michel Platini will be allowed to address its Congress on Wednesday as a “gesture of humanity” despite his ban from the sport, FIFA’s ethics committee said on Monday.

The Frenchman has been banned for four years from all soccer-related activity for ethics violations and his replacement to head the sport’s European governing body will be elected at the event in Athens.

The ethics committee of soccer’s governing body said an exception had been made for Wednesday’s event following a request from UEFA.

“UEFA formally asked the adjudicatory chamber of the independent ethics committee for an exception for Mr Platini to be able to make a short farewell address to its congress in Athens,” said the committee in a statement.

“The chairman of the adjudicatory chamber, Mr. Hans-Joachim Eckert, granted this exception as a gesture of humanity.”

One of the finest players of his generation who went on to become a powerful sporting official, Platini was suspended over his dealings with fallen world soccer chief Sepp Blatter during the scandal which shook the sport’s global governing body last year.

Platini was banished along with former FIFA President Blatter over a payment of two million Swiss francs ($2.08 million) made to the Frenchman by FIFA with Blatter’s approval in 2011 for work done a decade earlier.

FIFA’s ethics committee said the payment, made at a time when Blatter was seeking re-election, lacked transparency and presented conflicts of interest. Both men denied wrongdoing.

Platini, who was first elected as UEFA president in 2007, had been favorite to replace Blatter at the time. Instead, his former general secretary at UEFA, Gianni Infantino was voted to the top job in February.

Dutchman Michael van Praag and Slovenian football boss Aleksander Ceferin are the only two candidates on Wednesday.

Related Posts
2016 Rio Olympics - Athletics - Final - Men's 5000m Final - Olympic Stadium - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - 20/08/2016. Mo Farah (GBR) of Britain celebrates winning the gold. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
LONDON - Olympic champions Mo Farah, Rafael Nadal and Justin Rose were among athletes targeted on Monday in the latest leak of confidential medical documents that the world anti-doping agency (WADA) ...
READ MORE
DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA - DECEMBER 27:  Stuart Broad and James Taylor celebrate the wicket of Stiaan van Zyl  during the day 2 of the 1st test match between South Africa and England at Sahara Stadium Kingsmead on December 27, 2015 in Durban, South Africa. (Photo by Anesh Debiky/Gallo Images/Getty Images)
DURBAN (Reuters) - Moeen Ali took three wickets on Wednesday as England made quick work of securing victory in the first test by bundling out South Africa for 174 before ...
READ MORE
Guardiola to manage Manchester City from July
LONDON (Reuters) - Spaniard Pep Guardiola has signed a three-year contract to take over as Manchester City manager in July, the Premier League club said on Monday. Manuel Pellegrini ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe Police Summon Warriors Coach to Give Evidence in Match Fixing Scam
HARARE—Investigations into match fixing allegations have reached an advanced stage as the Zimbabwe Republic Police summon Warriors coach Kalisto Pasuwa to give evidence in the case that has claimed the ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe Chevrons’ Loss to Afghanistan Upsets Cricket Fans
HARARE—The Zimbabwe national cricket team has stirred emotions after they stuttered to an 82 run defeat at the hands of Afghanistan to lose the T20 Series 2-0. This has incensed the ...
READ MORE
Caps name English coach
HARARE - Caps United has named Englishman, Mark Harrison as their new head coach on a 3-year contract. He will be assisted by former Caps United players Fungai ‘Totsao’ Kwashi and ...
READ MORE
Everton confirm sacking of manager Martinez
London - Everton have sacked manager Roberto Martinez, the Premier League club announced on Thursday, confirming widespread reports in the British media. In place since joining from Wigan Athletic in 2013, ...
READ MORE
FIFA presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale of South Africa makes a speech during the Extraordinary FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland  February 26, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
ZURICH - Tokyo Sexwale withdrew from the FIFA presidential race minutes before the vote on Friday, announcing his decision at the very end of his candidate's speech. “I have got a ...
READ MORE
Kirsty Coventry Qualifies for 200 Meter Backstroke Swimming Finals in Brazil
RIO, Brazil — Zimbabwean swimming queen Kirsty Coventry has qualified for the 200 meter backstroke finals in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. Coventry came sixth in the semi-finals last night clocking ...
READ MORE
Title race not yet over – Wenger
Arsene Wenger insists he has not given up on Arsenal's Premier League title challenge but admits there are lessons to be learnt from Leicester's dominance at the top of the ...
READ MORE
Cyber hackers publish medical data for Farah, Nadal
Clinical England beat South Africa by 241 runs
Guardiola to manage Manchester City from July
Zimbabwe Police Summon Warriors Coach to Give Evidence
Zimbabwe Chevrons’ Loss to Afghanistan Upsets Cricket Fans
Caps name English coach
Everton confirm sacking of manager Martinez
Tokyo Sexwale pulls out before first round of
Kirsty Coventry Qualifies for 200 Meter Backstroke Swimming
Title race not yet over – Wenger

Arts & Entertainment

gonyeti
Arts & Entertainment

Gonyeti claims Jah Prayzah sexually abused her, seeks compensation

27th September 2016 Staff Reporter 0

The fallout between popular musician Jah Prayzah and former 3rd Generation dancer, Pamela ‘Gonyeti’ Zulu took a dramatic twist last week. Gonyeti aka Pamela Zulu Gonyeti, who left Jah Prayzah in August and her lawyers […]

diddy
Arts & Entertainment

P Diddy donates $1million to his alma mater to help struggling students

23rd September 2016 Staff Reporter 0

After amassing a huge fortune, hip hop star P Diddy is giving back. The 46-year-old star has set up the Sean Combs Scholarship Fund gifting $1m (£765k) to Howard University. Presenting the Washington institute’s president […]