A high ranking Zifa councillor has warned colleagues in the Zifa council against making the mistake of giving the highest office in football administration to a perceived potential financier at the expense of competent football administrators.
In a telephone interview this week from his Chiredzi base, Zifa Eastern Region chairman Piraishe Mabhena told Post Sport that it would be catastrophic for councillors, when they vote for the next Zifa president on December 5, to install a perceived potential sponsor instead of a football administrator who can bring a culture of corporate governance in the troubled association.
Mabhena said councillors made the same mistake when they voted for Dube unwisely assuming that the disgraced PSMAS boss would use personal resources to rescue Zifa from the current financial quagmire it finds itself in.
“I personally think that we now need a sound football administrator and not a sponsor of some kind for this job. We made the same mistake when we gave it to (Cuthbert) Dube. We need not make the same mistake.
“I do not think that some of the names that we are hearing can add value to Zifa apart from the fact that they will promise money for Zifa from personal coffers yet we all know that financial challenges in Zifa go beyond ones personal financial clout. After all, Zifa is a national organisation which can hardly be expected to survive from individual personal resources.
“I am of the opinion that we need to have someone who has been there in football administration, preferably, someone who is already in the system and is known to be able to change the way of doing things at Zifa. We have those individuals within PSL and even from other regions. After all this is going to be for two years,” said Mabhena.
Mabhena’s sentiment’s come hard on the heels of Chiyangwa’s bid for Zifa presidency. Chiyangwa was the first to pick up forms for the bid at the Zifa offices in Harare on Tuesday, said he was confident of resoundingly winning the election. He claimed that he had already won the backing of at least half of the Zifa councillors.
No other candidates have come out in the open yet to express their interest in the top job in Zimbabwean football. Most of the likely candidates say they are still weighing up their options. The office of the Zifa president fell vacant after the recent unceremonious departure of disgraced former PSMAS boss, Cuthbert Dube and the debt-ridden association has earmarked December 5 as the date for the elections.
Candidates have to send their papers to the Zifa secretariat at least 30 days before the elections. From the seven places in the executive committee, five are vacant, with the president, vice and three other members’ positions all up for grabs. As the debate rages on, several names have been featuring prominently as possible replacements for Dube.
The names include Chiyangwa, Prophetic Healing and Deliverance leader prophet, Walter Magaya, CAPS United major shareholder, Farai Jere, former ZIFA vice-president, Omega Sibanda, veteran soccer journalist, Charles Mabika, current PSL chief executive officer, Kennedy Ndebele, PSL board of directors chairman, Twine Phiri and Trevor Carelse-Juul who lost to Cuthbert Dube in the recent previous election.
Magaya, however, has already distanced himself from vying for the Zifa top post. – Manica Post