Ex-Google Engineer In Sexual Harrassment Allegations

A former Google engineer revealed on Twitter this weekend that she suffered sexual harassment whilst working at the company.

Google

 

In a series of tweets, Kelly Ellis said that not only had she been sexually harassed by a male colleague, but that her promotion through the company had been effectively curtailed because she would have been in a position that meant reporting to her harasser.

There is more than a hint of irony at the timing of the revelation. Google would much prefer to be seen encouraging women into technology but Ellis — who worked on the Google+ team — dismisses this as nothing more than “PR bullshit”. She also says that she was let down by co-workers who failed to back her up.

Ellis spent a good deal of time on Saturday tweeting a series of snippets about her time at Google where she worked from 2010 to 2014. The tweets started with a very blunt statement: “At Google I was sexually harassed by someone who was later promoted to director”. Dozens of tweets then followed giving more details about what had happened.

Now working as a software engineer at Medium, Ellis says that the harassment was the main reason she left the company back in July. She says “I don’t care if people believe me or not”, but, we have to refer to what she says as allegations. She says that Roderick Chavez, another Google engineer, harassed her:

Ellis says that she reacted badly to something he said and ended up pouring a drink over his head. Rather than focusing on the harassment that led her to react in such a way, Ellis says that Google’s HR department instead concentrated on the humiliation caused to Chavez by being soaked.

It seems that this is not an isolated incident, and Ellis refers to a male-dominated environment at Google in which she not only felt uncomfortable, but was subjected to inappropriate comments. She took to Google+ to ask former colleagues why they had not helped her out or spoken out. She says she felt trapped and unsupported, and ultimately had to leave Google:

My choices were: speak up loudly, lose my job, burn bridges (which is what I’ve now done), leave quietly (which is what I did later after realizing it wasn’t changing), or not say anything (which is what I initially did).

Kelly Ellis has indicated that she does not intend to speak to the press about the events she has written about, and Google is yet to respond to the allegations. We have reached out to the company for comment, but we’re yet to hear back.

Related Posts
Outrage over mobile data tariffs hike
HARARE - Zimbabwe’s telecoms regulator has come under fire for hiking mobile data tariffs by over 100 percent, making access to Internet and social media unaffordable for most citizens. By Gift ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe has the third most expensive mobile data in Africa
Zimbabwe has the third most expensive monthly mobile data in Africa behind South Sudan and Swaziland according to the latest report from Techzim. It said a survey of 47 African countries ...
READ MORE
‘Futseki mhani’ – Cracking Jonathan Moyo loses it on Twitter
The moment Zimbabwe's Information Minister Prof Jonathan Moyo lost it on twitter. Prof Moyo was responding to @zed3ch who had twitted "cant help but see @ProfJNMoyo hand in this. Strategy of ...
READ MORE
Samsung expects record Galaxy shipments, supply constraints
SEOUL- Tech giant Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said it expects record shipments for the new Galaxy S smartphones that go on sale on Friday, but will have trouble meeting demand ...
READ MORE
Computer lab for Shurugwi
The Shurugwi Rural, Business, Social and Cultural Development Centre (SRSCC) will early next year begin construction on a new state-of –the art computer laboratory and small-holder farmers academic and entrepreneurship ...
READ MORE
Data drives telecos revenue up 15pct to $262mln in Q3 – Potraz
HARARE – Zimbabwe’s telecommunications revenue increased by 15 percent to $262 million in the quarter to September from $228, 7 million in the previous quarter driven by a rise in ...
READ MORE
Telecel buyout scandal deepens
DODGY attempts by government to take over Telecel through the backdoor are deepening the scandal engulfing the company as it emerged this week the state-owned firm, Zarnet, cherry-picked to buyout ...
READ MORE
Moyo shops in SA while his people suffer: Mboweni batters Moyo on twitter
A Twitter war has erupted between former Reserve Bank governor Tito Mboweni and Zimbabwe’s information minister Professor Jonathan Moyo. The two senior politicians argued about a number of issues that included ...
READ MORE
Tough times ahead for Zimbabwe telecommunication companies
Harare - Analysts have forecast a tough financial year ahead for Econet Wireless and the other smaller mobile operators in Zimbabwe, with voice revenues and profitability likely to take a ...
READ MORE
China offers fibre loan to Zimbabwe’s TelOne
Zimbabwe telecoms minister says China is lending funds to state-owned operator for fibre backbone The Zimbabwe government is stepping up its pressure on operators to work together to build a national ...
READ MORE
Outrage over mobile data tariffs hike
Zimbabwe has the third most expensive mobile data
‘Futseki mhani’ – Cracking Jonathan Moyo loses it
Samsung expects record Galaxy shipments, supply constraints
Computer lab for Shurugwi
Data drives telecos revenue up 15pct to $262mln
Telecel buyout scandal deepens
Moyo shops in SA while his people suffer:
Tough times ahead for Zimbabwe telecommunication companies
China offers fibre loan to Zimbabwe’s TelOne

Arts & Entertainment