THE chief suspect who confessed to gruesomely killing a seven-year-old Zimunya boy for ritual purposes was last week remanded in custody when he appeared before a Mutare magistrate on murder charges.
Jonathan Makuwaza appeared before Mrs Sekai Chiundura who told him to apply for bail at the High Court since he was facing a Third Schedule offence.
He will be back in court on April 30 for routine remand.
Three other suspects – Lovemore Magwaza, Givy Muhwezva and Esnati Muzinganyama – whom Makuwaza had implicated to have taken part in the murder of Langton Musere, were set free for lack of incriminating evidence.
Their cases will continue by way of summons.
Apart from Makuwaza’s confession that the other suspects partook in the murder, detectives found no other evidence to nail them.
However, detectives handling the matter revealed that although they did not find the murder weapon and other apparatus used in committing the heinous offence since Makuwaza indicated that he threw the knife and razor blade in a flowing river, his confession on how he killed the boy mirrors with findings of the post-mortem carried out on the corpse.
His confession that the boy died after being struck by a stone on the head is consistent with post-mortem results that he died as a result of head-related trauma.
When he confessed to the murder before acting Chief Zimunya last week, Makuwaza said they were offered $5 000 for the body parts.