Zimbabwean man’s rape claim bogus

A Zimbabwean man who claimed he had been raped by women on five separate occasions has been arrested for making false reports, state media reported on Thursday.
ZIMBABWE POLICE
Police spokeswoman Charity Charamba

The 20-year-old man told police in the northern town of Kariba that he had made up the reports to “get sympathy from people who would then give him money and food”, state broadcaster ZBC reported on its website.

Attacks by female rapists in Zimbabwe have made local and international news headlines in the past three years. There has been speculation that the women target hitch-hikers to collect semen which they then use or sell for traditional get-rich-quick potions.

Three women were arrested on suspicion of committing rape in the central town of Gweru in 2011, after more than 30 used condoms were found in their car.

However, they claimed they were busy sex workers who had not had time to dispose of the condoms. They were later cleared by a court.

The man, from eastern Manicaland province, opened rape cases at police stations in Kariba and Karoi in northern Zimbabwe and Chivi, Ngundu and Chiredzi in southern Zimbabwe, using different names each time.

Police spokeswoman Charity Charamba told the state-controlled Herald newspaper: “Following intensive investigations by the Zimbabwe Republic Police after several reports of aggravated indecent assault commonly referred to as the rape of men by women in early January 2015, it has been established that the five cases reported… are all false.”

In 2012, a 25-year-old man claimed he too had been raped and robbed by a three-woman gang in the border city of Mutare. It later emerged that he had spent his entire salary on a girlfriend and was too scared to go home.

Related Posts
Man jailed for nine years for eating python meat
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A Zimbabwean man has been jailed for nine years for eating python, a protected species, a Zimbabwean daily reported on Friday. Archwell Maramba said he had been eating ...
READ MORE
Magistrate worked 33 years with no O Levels
The Judicial Service Commission (JSC) has sacked a  Zvishavane magistrate who has been working for the last 33 years without proper qualifications including basic five O Levels. However, Joe Kabiti is ...
READ MORE
Cop bashers leader arrested
The controversial leader of the Budiriro-based Apostolic sect that bashed police officers, Madzibaba Ishmael Chokurongerwa [once reported as Ishmael Mufani], who has been on the run for the past seven ...
READ MORE
Kereke Sinks In The Deep End
HARARE,– The family of a juvenile allegedly raped by Munyaradzi Kereke, a Zanu PF legislator, is pressing ahead with the prosecution of the former advisor to Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) erstwhile Governor ...
READ MORE
RDZ Leader Elton Mangoma Receives Death Threats
Harare,– Renewal Democrats of Zimbabwe (RDZ) president, Elton Mangoma (pictured) is said to have received death threats last Thursday through his mobile phone from unknown people. According to the party’s information ...
READ MORE
Motorists sue Chihuri, Chombo
HARARE - At least 32 motorists have dragged Home Affairs minister Ignatius Chombo and Commissioner General of police Augustine Chihuri to the High Court to recover their motor vehicles that ...
READ MORE
Uebert Angel’s co-accused denies charges
THE Chitungwiza man accused of colluding with Spirit Embassy Church leader Prophet Uebert Angel Mudzanire to defraud a Harare businessman of his $300,000 Bentley Continental, has denied the charge. Anderson Tagara, ...
READ MORE
NetOne saga rages on
A COMPANY owned by NetOne management owes the State-owned mobile network operator $11 million, more than a fifth of the mobile operators’ $46 million debtors’ book, board chairman Alex Marufu ...
READ MORE
Warrant of arrest issued against Mnangagwa’s ally
HARARE - Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa's ally and Gokwe Nembudziya member of the National Assembly, Justice Mayor Wadyajena has been issued with a warrant of arrest following the legislator's failure to ...
READ MORE
Zimbabwe man jailed for killing diplomat in SA
A 21 year-old Zimbabwean man, Nigel Kahari, will spend the next 14 years of his life behind bars after killing a South African diplomat. The murder of Fatmi Noureddine took place ...
READ MORE
Man jailed for nine years for eating python
Magistrate worked 33 years with no O Levels
Cop bashers leader arrested
Kereke Sinks In The Deep End
RDZ Leader Elton Mangoma Receives Death Threats
Motorists sue Chihuri, Chombo
Uebert Angel’s co-accused denies charges
NetOne saga rages on
Warrant of arrest issued against Mnangagwa’s ally
Zimbabwe man jailed for killing diplomat in SA