Zimbabwean regime allays fuel shortage rumors

HARARE,– The Zimbabwean government on Thursday dismissed reports that the country is running out of fuel stocks, saying it had adequate fuel supplies to meet local demand, state news agency New Ziana reported.

The rumors have been circulating on social media, alleging that fuel stocks in Zimbabwe would soon dry up.

Permanent Secretary for Energy and Power Development Patson Mbiriri rebutted the rumors, saying the country had more fuel than it required despite a drop in imports in recent months.

“We have adequate stocks of fuel in the country and we will continue to monitor the situation and take necessary measures to ensure continuous fuel supplies,” he said.

He said the decrease in fuel imports was due to reduced demand by bulk fuel buyers that include industry and the mining sector.

“It does not point to a shortage,” he added.

On daily basis, Zimbabwe needs about 2.5 million liters of diesel and 1.5 million liters of petrol but these figures have been going down, Mbiriri said.

At least 90 percent of the country’s fuel is brought in by pipeline, with the remaining 10 percent moved by road and rail.

Zimbabwe recently introduced tight import controls to curtail the country’s huge import bill against low exports, a situation government has said is also causing current cash shortages in the economy.

Related Posts
Flamboyant Chiyangwa and his sickly Zeco
Businessman Phillip Chiyangwa is known for flaunting his wealth and religiously updates friends, fans and foes alike on any latest addition to his growing fleet of exclusive cars. BY NDAMU SANDU Early ...
READ MORE
Motor industry tells Parliament govt reluctant to procure vehicle locally
HARARE,– Local makers of buses and trucks on Monday said government’s reluctance to procure vehicles locally was crippling the country’s motor industry. Appearing before a parliamentary committee on transport and infrastructure ...
READ MORE
Fly Africa set for 20 percent share of Zim-SA market: Report
HARARE,– Budget airline Fly Africa is expected to grow its market share to 20 percent of the Zimbabwe-South Africa route in 2015, up from 12 percent last year, an aviation ...
READ MORE
UK urges British investment in Zim as indigenisation rhetoric dies down but warns of economic recession
HARARE,– Britain says its companies should consider investing in Zimbabwe after the southern African country toned down rhetoric on its indigenisation law compelling foreign firms to sell majority shares to ...
READ MORE
NSSA profit plunges 70pct after $93mln asset write-down on dodgy property investments
HARARE,– The National Social Security Authority (NSSA) has reported a 68 percent decline in full-year profit for 2015 after a $93 million asset write-down relating to its Celestial office park ...
READ MORE
July inflation slides to -1.6 percent
HARARE,– Zimbabwe’s inflation for the month of July 2016 fell by 0.24 percentage points to -1.60 percent, the national statistics agency said on Monday. On a month on month basis, the inflation ...
READ MORE
Import bill to balloon: Chanakira
The high import bill is set to be worsened by the South African rand that has dropped to all-time low levels against the dollar, an official has said. BY TATIRA ZWINOIRA The ...
READ MORE
Weak prices threaten Zimbabwe’s mining industry – Chamber
HARARE, – Zimbabwe’s mining industry is facing viability challenges on the back of rising production costs at a time commodity prices remain depressed, an official has said. Little is expected from ...
READ MORE
Bimha Chides Media For ‘Manufacturing’ SI 64 Confusion
Nyanga,- Industry and Commerce Minister Mike Bimha has castigated the local media for allegedly manufacturing the current confusion which has followed the introduction of Statutory Instrument 64/2016 in a bid ...
READ MORE
Innscor in nasty racial storm
HARARE - Diversified group, Innscor Africa has been sucked into the vortex of a racial storm amid reports of systemic “retrenchments” of black managers at the expense of “white expatriates” ...
READ MORE
Flamboyant Chiyangwa and his sickly Zeco
Motor industry tells Parliament govt reluctant to procure
Fly Africa set for 20 percent share of
UK urges British investment in Zim as indigenisation
NSSA profit plunges 70pct after $93mln asset write-down
July inflation slides to -1.6 percent
Import bill to balloon: Chanakira
Weak prices threaten Zimbabwe’s mining industry – Chamber
Bimha Chides Media For ‘Manufacturing’ SI 64 Confusion
Innscor in nasty racial storm

Arts & Entertainment